What is it
The Merge Cube merges the physical and digital worlds using augmented reality technology and the camera and sensors in your mobile device. Hold a galaxy in the palm of your hand, examine fossils and ancient artefacts like a real archaeologist, watch as a volcano erupts before your eyes, and play games in ways never possible before!
Apps available* include:
- Dig!: Mine and build 3D worlds, choosing from unlimited resources like stone, sand, grass, brick and lava.
- Galactic Explorer: Hold the solar system in the palm of your hand! Watch the planets revolve around the Sun in their orbits, explore the texture and colour of each planet, and discover interesting facts as you navigate through space.
- Tiltball: Guide the boulder through a medieval obstacle course before time runs out.
Use your iOS or Android device to power the Merge Cube, and download apps to magically transform the Merge Cube into anything you can imagine. Works with tablets and smartphones and compatible with VR/AR Goggles (sold separately).
*Please note, not all Merge apps have been tested by the Good App Guide
What our team of testers said
"Oh, it changed! Wow!" - Girl aged 10
"This is basically like the next level VR." - Boy aged 11
- Encourages imaginative play and creativity
- Promotes problem solving and logical thinking
- Introduces children to AR technology
What our experts think
The Merge Cube was really popular with our testers – the Dig app (which they likened to Minecraft) was certainly the favourite, although the Galaxy Explorer app (which allows children to explore a holographic solar system) also captured their imaginations. The simple foam cube doesn’t look like much, but children were amazed when they saw it come to life on the screen! The variety of free and paid apps help children develop a range of different skills, from creativity to logical thinking. This compliments the school curriculum, with logic and problem solving assisting STEM learning and vocabulary building complimenting literacy and storytelling skills.
Set up was generally simple – just open the app and scan the cube. We found it was a bit of a juggling act to hold both the device (smartphone or tablet) and the cube; some children found it easier to either play with a friend so they could take turns holding the cube, or to have the cube on the table and move around it (in which case, they may need some prompting from an adult to pick up the cube and enjoy the full AR experience). For phones, there is a stand included as part of the box packaging to help you out. Some of the apps don’t have enough instruction at the beginning, which children found confusing – so they may need help to get started with some of the games.
- RRP: £11.30
- Brands: MERGE
- Key Features:
- No batteries required
- Toy Types: Electronic & app toys
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Colour, shape and pattern recognition
Computing and Technology
Fine motor skills
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Memory, concentration & attention
Personal, social & emotional development
Physical & motor skills
Speech, language and communication skills
Understanding the world