What is it
Children play a series of fun mini-games based on everyday household chores in this app. They have the opportunity to: sort the post, wash the dishes, hang up laundry, sweep up, vacuum, mow the lawn and more (19 mini-games in total). The games are based in and around the house and involve 5 cute characters. The app also tries to promote turn taking and limited time on the app by having the sun set after playing ten mini-games.
What our team of testers said
"I love sweeping up" - Girl aged 4
"This one's green so it goes here" (sorting letters) - Boy aged 3
- Encouraging understanding and interest in household chores
- Develop colour and shape recognition while sorting letters and fruit
- Develop dexterity through sweeping and beyond
What our experts think
Our little testers enjoyed the mini-games in this app, particularly cleaning and sweeping. It provides a nice way to encourage children to think of household chores as fun and something they may want to get involved with, and helps them to better understand what is involved. You never know they might want to start helping out more in real life too!
It would be even better if...
Highlighting which elements of the screen are interactive and which are not would help children to get started with this app. Several children expected more of the screen to be interactive and so were not initially sure how to get into the mini-games.
As detailed by Toca Boca within the ‘For Parents’ section, this app provides the opportunity to discuss housekeeping activities with your child, providing an opportunity to talk about why these are important and how which activities/chores they could help out with in real life.
The more a child can consider housekeeping activities/chores to be fun the better and the app may give you some ideas of how to make boring chores a bit more entertaining.
For younger children, we also recommend encouraging your child to name the rooms and items they see within each room to help their language development.
- Brands: Toca Boca
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Extras for Parents: The parents area contains tips for parents on how to get the best out of this app.
- Languages available: English - no spoken language and very limited written language included.
- Appropriate child restricted areas? Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Extras for parents: The parents area contains tips for parents on how to get the best out of this app.
- Apple version: iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 5.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Colour, shape and pattern recognition
Fine motor skills
Health, hygiene & self-care
People and communities
Personal, social & emotional development
Physical & motor skills
Understanding the world