What is it
TinyHands Sorting 3 is the third game in the Sorting series.
The game teaches sorting by shape, size and colour as well as sorting according to more complex concepts such as by profession (a fireman’s hat and fire engine for the fireman vs. an ambulance and thermometer for the doctor).
TinyHands state that it was developed with certified child psychologists and is recommended for age 3 and up. There are 12 game boards available which get progressively harder, the first 3 are available in the free version and remaining 9 following upgrade.
There is no voiceover in the game (on background music and sound effects which can be turned on and off). The only American English term used is ‘Color’ as part of the written title for some of the game boards.
What our team of testers said
"Can we keep this one?" - Boy aged 3
"Two spots ladybird goes there" (smiles) - Gir aged 3
- Develops sorting and classifying skills
- Accurately moving the shapes develops hand-eye coordination
- Enhances children's concentration
What our experts think
The simplicity of this app and its success at capturing children’s concentration to teach them important skills makes it a popular one with us. It helps children learn shapes, size, colour and counting skills (amongst others), it’s visually appealing and provides a good level of congratulations. It is well targeted for the 3+ age group and could be enjoyed by some children younger than that. The games are intuitive for children to use and don’t rely on verbal (or written instructions) – also making this appropriate for children speaking all languages. The only American English included is the word ‘Color’ within the title for some of the game boards.
It would be even better if...
We’d love to see this come out on more platforms and the full version at a lower price or more game boards.
Sit with your child as they play this app and encourage them to talk about what they see to help them develop their understanding and their language skills, for example:
- Shape & size game: get them to tell you the names of the shapes and colours, get them to tell you which ones are bigger/smaller
- Animal groups: ask them to name the animals
- Count 1-2-3: get them to count the dots out loud
- Brands: TinyHands
- Key Features:
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: American English - no spoken language
- Appropriate child restricted areas? Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 5.1 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Categorisation & comparison
Colour, shape and pattern recognition
Fine motor skills
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Memory, concentration & attention
Numeracy, counting & money
People and communities
Physical & motor skills
Understanding the world