What is it
Experiment with everyday & extreme weather
Play with sun, air, water, temperature, wind, and precipitation. Dive into a cloud and see what it’s made of. Make it rain, make it snow, or make a thunderstorm. Whirl a tornado or a hurricane. Discover the signs that tell you what it’s going to be like outside today. Kids play and learn about the atmospheric forces that make the weather and affect us everyday.
- Explore the elements of weather (heat, water, and air) in interactive scenes.
- Each scene includes detailed close-ups and infographics.
- See the invisible at work: study water and ice molecules and hot and cold air particles.
- Experiment with extreme weather!
- See how extreme weather effects the environment.
- Create hurricanes and tornados.
- Jump inside a cloud! Combine droplets or ice crystals to create rain and snow.
- Draw clouds and see how they change at different altitudes.
- Change the temperature. See how hot and cold affect precipitation, plants, and pets.
What our team of testers said
"I really like this." - Boy aged 5
"Mummy I have made clouds." - Girl aged 5
- Lets children learn through exploration
- Teaches children about weather and the water cycle
- Includes scientific terms
What our experts think
Weather by TinyBop really engaged children in learning about the weather – they just loved experimenting with things like the temperature and wind speed to see what would happen. There is no pressure of failure; children can just freely explore which is great for encouraging curiosity.
By selecting the labels option in the menu, children are shown the scientific terms for everything they see, building vocabulary and supporting National Curriculum goals.
It would be even better if...
There are no text instructions to guide children on where to tap, so they needed a little help to get started at first.
We also felt that the parent gate on the links to other Tinybop apps wasn’t secure enough considering the age of the children accessing the app.
- Brands: Tinybop
- British English
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Haitian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Latvian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Personal, social & emotional development
Speech, language and communication skills
Understanding the world