What is it
Tiggly Chef can be used with or without Tiggly Maths (sold separately).
In Tiggly Chef, Tiggly Town’s greatest, most mustachioed Chef tells you what he needs to prepare his preposterously silly recipes, and you help by adding the exact number of ingredients Chef asks for to get the recipe right. You can even suggest your own recipes to Chef. While ingredients are added, mathematics symbols appear on screen explaining your actions, helping you naturally learn numbers and early addition concepts. Surely Tiggly Chef will encourage you to follow instructions and think flexibly!
What our team of testers said
"9 Raspberries - I'll use the 5...now how many 1,2,3,4 - 4...yey!" - Boy aged 4
"3, now 2, now 1...ooh, what have I made...haha, that looks funny" - Boy aged 4
- Takes a fun approach to helping children understand basic maths concepts in a real life context
- Introduces + and = symbols to preschoolers
- Encourages creativity through creating your own recipes
What our experts think
We absolutely love this app! It is one of very few that have achieved 5 stars in all of our rating scales. This app is really good fun for children – the silly recipes keep children entertained while they learn maths concept intuitively. Whether you use the Tiggly counting rods (sold separately) or your fingers the app uses a montesorri style approach to help children learn basic addition. The flexibility of solutions (e.g. 2+1=3 works just as well as 1+1+1=3) subtly encourages children to try different combinations, helping them to understand the concept of basic addition. They also learn the meaning of + and =, giving them a great headstart when they reach the classroom. They even start to recognise a wide range of ingredients as they play. With no in-app purchases, no third party adverts and a very intuitive interface this is an easy app to use and a safe one to let your children loose on. We really can’t recommend this app enough.
It would be even better if...
There really aren’t many issues with this app but a couple of tips that take a moment to understand when you start out:
– you can swipe the ingredients to skip through them to find the one you need
– if you aren’t use the Tiggly Counting rods, you tap the ingredients (with one or using multiple fingers at a time) to select them rather than dragging each on individually to the pan
- Brands: Tiggly
- Key Features:
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Interacts with a toy
- Interacts with a toy:
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad
iOS 5.1.1 or later.
- Android version: Android 3.0 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Food & nutrition
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Numeracy, counting & money
Understanding the world