What is it
The Robot Factory
Build any robot you can imagine from 100 parts: exoskeletons, telescopic arms, spider legs and more.
Test your robots through a fantastical world full of obstacles. Will they survive or bust?
Collect all your robots in your showroom. Take them out to build and play as you like.
You can even record your own robot sounds and paint your robot using 9 different colour schemes.
What our team of testers said
"This is really good for jumping." - Girl aged 7
"It's like inventing." - Boy aged 8
- Children can record voices to express different emotions
- Encourages creativity
- Allows children to learn through experimentation
What our experts think
Children loved designing their robots from scratch and found it hilarious steering their robot around the ‘test world’, watching their robot bounce, start to smoke when it became damaged and even fall apart. The free play style means children don’t feel pressured to reach a goal or make a particular robot – they are free to try out whatever they want to.
This allows them not only to be creative but also experiment with the effects of different features – for example, finding out which design allowed their robot to jump over the cliff. This trial and error is great for supporting their learning in science.
We also really like how children can record voices for their robot, to indicate different emotions such as happy or sad.
It would be even better if...
The parental controls are there but not very secure – children this age are able to swipe up with two fingers (which is used as the passcode) so would easily be able to access the app purchasing links.
Children had some trouble moving their robot around in the ‘test world’ but still seemed to enjoy this part of the game.
It would also be good if children were encouraged to go back and improve their robot – for example, if it wasn’t able to jump over the cliff, they need to add a feature that will allow it to do that. An adult can start a discussion around this however.
- Brands: Tinybop
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Partly - some unrestricted links
- Languages available: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Basque, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Haitian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Latvian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 7.0 or later.
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Design & technology
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Trial and error learning