What is it
The Earth by Tinybop is an educational app that allows children to explore our planet. Children can trigger earthquakes; make volcanos erupt; investigate plate tectonics, weathering, erosion, and deposition. They can travel across time to see how our home has changed over eons, pre-Pangea to the present.
The app is an interactive model that lets children study and observe the geological forces that change the planet —above and below the surface. There is a free expert-reviewed handbook that is full of facts, interaction hints, and discussion questions to support learning .
There is also a parents’ dashboard that can be used to support children’s progress, change preferences etc.
Within the app children can:
* Wander through an endless landscape, from deserts to mountains, oceans to glaciers.
* Investigate how each landform was created.
* See the Earth transform over time, from a sphere of boiling rock to the continents we live on today.
* Dig under the surface and observe the Earth’s layers from the crust to core.
* Weather, erode, and deposit rocks and sediment. Shape the land with your fingertips!
* Make a river meander. Make a glacier recede and advance. Create sand dunes, sea stacks, and beaches. Trigger a rockslide!
* Discover mysteries like frost wedging, stalactites and stalagmites, and hotspots.
* Experiment with four different types of volcanoes.
* Learn new vocabulary in 40+ languages with interactive labels in close-up scenes.
* Sophisticated sound design rewards experimentation.
* Original artwork by Sarah Jacoby.
* Intuitive, safe, and kid-friendly design.
* Entertaining for kids and adults alike.
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"Watch out for the Earthquake!" - Boy aged 6
"Look, I made the beach vanish!" - Boy aged 8
"Wow, look at the volcanoes big eruption." - Girl aged 5
"Look the rain is making the rocks fall down the mountain." - Boy aged 6
- Teaches children about different habitats
- Allows children to explore how landforms are created
- Encourages children to investigate how rivers, volcanoes and earthquakes occur (and their effects)
- Teaches children how the Earth has changed over the years and what it is made of
What our experts think
The Earth from Tinybop is a brilliant app for little enquiring scientific minds! There is lots to see, do and learn as children explore the planet Earth. The graphics and sounds are engaging and the app is educational – it links well with what children cover in Science and Geography at Key Stage 2. It is a great tool for supporting children’s learning in school and would really help with any school projects!
We really liked the ability to track progress in the parent’s area and the addition of the parents handbook. The app prompted lots of discussion with the testers and their parents – the handbook supports this discussion well and helps adults further children’s scientific understanding.
The app contained lots of interactive demonstrations and clearly explained how some natural phenomena occur.
It would be even better if...
Some of our testers struggled to navigate the app – it would be better if there were instructions on the home page.
We also felt that the parent gate on the links to other Tinybop apps wasn’t secure enough considering the age of the children accessing the app.
- Brands: Tinybop
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Extras for Parents: There is a parent gate, but it is very simple.
- Languages available: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Basque, Bengali, Bokmål, Norwegian, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Haitian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Latvian, Malay, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Uighur, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh
- Extras for parents: There is a parent gate, but it is very simple.
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Understanding the world