What is it
Teach Your Monster To read app is a phonic based reading game which helps children recognise sounds. Children have to create their own monster and take it on an adventure through magical and mysterious places, meet the mysterious Island Kings and collect rewards as their monster learns the first steps of reading. The mini games helps the children’s recognition of all 31 letter sounds.
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"That's funny" - Boy aged 4
"These two are escaping, oh monster, not that way" (herding the sheep) - Girl aged 4
- Encourages children to listen to and say sounds
- Develops basic phonics
- Encourages letter recognition
What our experts think
This is a good app for encouraging children to develop and practise their phonological awareness. The app would be particularly useful for encouraging boys, who are often reluctant readers, to read.
The way in which children are encouraged to listen and say a sound and recognise how it is written ensures that they are linking the sounds they hear to how it actually looks on a page.
The mini games are a good addition to the app as they introduce key sounds.
It would be even better if...
We would like to have seen a wider range of activities – although children do need reinforcement, they can become bored repeating the same activity. The app also needed clearer instructions at the start of each activity
- Brands: Teach Monster Games Ltd
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Languages available: English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Apple version: iPad
6.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Listening and attention