What is it
Special Numbers is an app that supports counting and sequences of numbers 0-20. A collection of games introduces children to core maths concepts:
Numbers are spoken aloud clearly, and shown as digits and objects.
Designed for Special Educational Needs, the app uses a clear and uncluttered design for children who can become overwhelmed, overstimulated or easily distracted. It is also suitable for preschoolers without SEN.
All of the games can be completely personalised to suit the individual child’s needs – parents can change everything from the numbers included and the font used, to the reward (animation or sound can be removed) and more.
What our team of testers said
"I like doing my maths." (referring to the app) - Girl aged 6, with Global Developmental Delay
"One more time mummy." - Boy aged 4, with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- The simple layout is great for children who become easily distracted
- Helps children practise score maths skills such as counting and ordering
- Highly customisable to suit every child's needs
What our experts think
This app was really popular with our testers, who really enjoyed practising their maths skills. Children loved the round of applause when they answered correctly and this really helped to spur them on! There are lots of games to choose from and this variety helps keep children interested in practising over and over again.
Parents thought it was fantastic that the settings could be personalised to suit their child, and adjusted to make the games easier/more difficult.
The app has a variety of games that cover core maths skills, making it an excellent learning app. The languages can also be changed (through Manage Profiles) so children can also learn foreign languages with the app.
It would be even better if...
We would like to see child restricted access on the parent areas, such as the settings and external links.
- Brands: Special iApps
- Key Features:
- British English
- Made in the UK
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: No - all links unrestricted
- Special Needs Autistic children
Children with speech issues
Children with ADD
Children with developmental delay
- Languages available: English, Catalan, French, Italian, Spanish, Turkish
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 6.1 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Categorisation & comparison
Numeracy, counting & money
Speech, language and communication skills