What is it
Say hello to Happy Studio from McDonald’s*! It’s full of fun games and creative activities to help kids develop useful skills while they play at being an artist, inventor, entertainer, hero or musician.
Create a masterpiece, move to the music or launch a rocket – anything is possible in Happy Studio. Explore different worlds with Happy and discover interactive digital books. The app is constantly updated with characters that are visiting the Happy Meal, so there’s always something new to make and do.
“We’ve loved watching children enjoy playing Happy Studio and having the opportunity to develop across so many areas while they play.” Lucy Gill, Apps , Technology and UX Expert
- Be an Inventor: This game encourages kids to experiment and watch their creations go off with a bang. Build and test a series of inventions; a rocket, car, pin ball machine and more.
- Be an Artist: Kids learn the techniques they need to feel like a real artist – with some surprising results. Explore tools and resources to create drawings, or follow the instructions to learn how to draw a character.
- Be an Entertainer: Kids take centre stage to learn the art of performance. Playing as a team or solo, they’ll create and star in their own music video or film trailer.
- Be a Musician: Challenging kids to match musical patterns helps them learn different sounds and rhythms. Kids can get moving to the music and compose their own songs.
- Be a Hero: Solve three multi-level motion-controlled puzzles. Challenge yourself or play with up to three friends – who is the real Hero?
Plus, play with Happy! Dress him up, change the background and even see how many keepy-uppies he can do.
About Happy Studio
Happy Studio is built to encourage children to think creatively, make things they can be proud of, and grow their skills. That’s why the Happy Studio philosophy is: Think. Make. Grow.
*There is no food advertising in the app.
What our team of testers said
"This is so much fun, love it." - Girl aged 6
"Do you think this would work? I think I need more rocket boosters." (playing Be an Inventor) - Boy aged 5
"Hold it right there!" (playing Be a Hero) - Girl aged 10
- Develops thinking skills such as problem solving and logic
- Encourages children to be creative
- Provides opportunities for children to play together
What our experts think
We love the huge range of games available in Happy Studio because this gives children the freedom to explore and choose what they’d like to play within a safe app. It also means lots of different skills are promoted; from creativity (in Be a Musician and Be an Artist), to thinking skills (in Be an Inventor and Be a Hero). Although all of the games can be played alone, the multi-player options in Hero and Entertainer are a great way to encourage siblings and friends to play together.
Our testers found it a little tricky to play the Hero game in multi-player mode, but observers commented that it was nice to see an app that could be used to encourage children to play as a team. They also found it easier to play when standing up – which encourages a bit more movement during screen time!
Note: Fundamentally Children were involved in the development of this app, but it was tested for the Good App Guide by a separate team of children and experts.
- Brands: McDonalds, Preloaded
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
iOS 7.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Art & design
Design & technology
Fine motor skills
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Memory, concentration & attention
Personal, social & emotional development
Physical & motor skills
Teamwork, turn taking & sharing
Timing and reactions
Trial and error learning
Understanding the world