What is it
Care for your very own Very Hungry Caterpillar in this gorgeous app from StoryToys!
Eric Carle’s much-loved character, The Very Hungry Caterpillar™, has won the hearts of millions of children around the world for more than 45 years. Now, for the first time, The Very Hungry Caterpillar is brought to life in a stunning 3D interactive app by StoryToys.
Starting with your Very Hungry Caterpillar hatching from an egg, then care for an play with your caterpillar until he turns into a beautiful butterfly:
- Feed him fruit from the trees, basket and even strawberries grown in your very own garden
- Grow flowers and strawberries through planting and watering
- Play games with your Very Hungry Caterpillar more toys will appear in the toy box the more you play
- Sail your Very Hungry Caterpillar on the pond
- Ensure your Very Hungry Caterpillar gets enough sleep: cover him with a leaf while he sleeps
Eventually the caterpillar emerges from a chrysalis as a beautiful butterfly that continues to flit around in the virtual world of the app while you focus caring for the newly hatched addition!
There is no text or voiceover in this app ensuring it is appropriate for speakers of all languages.
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"He turned into a butterfly, so exciting" - Girl, aged 3
"I like when he eats stuff!" - Boy, aged 3
"It was fun watering the plants" - Girl, aged 3
- Encourages curiosity, exploration, imaginative play and fine motor skills
- Helps children to understand metamorphosis
- Introduces basic gardening concepts
What our experts think
My Very Hungry Caterpillar by Story Toys was thoroughly enjoyed by our little testers. They loved exploring the caterpillar’s world: watching him eat the fruit, sail on the pond, play with his toys and water the plants. It was great to see how it encouraged their imagination. The natural pause when he slept was also good to encourage turn taking (in a group setting) and putting the iPad down. Many of the children were familiar with the Very Hungry Caterpillar book and the idea of metamorphosis and so were delighted to see the caterpillar turn into a butterfly. They loved seeing the butterfly fly around while they played with their new caterpillar.
This game has lovely graphics and no nasties (no in-app purchasing and the few links are safely locked away in the parent zone).
It would be even better if...
The children were desperate to see the caterpillar turn into a butterfly and it would have been great to see some indication of when this would happen.
- Brands: Hungry Caterpillar, StoryToys
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: No language (text or voiceover) included in the app
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 6.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Animals & Sealife
Fine motor skills
Food & nutrition
Physical & motor skills
Understanding the world