What is it
A fabulous musical app by Duck Duck Moose for children including 5 activities that teach the fundamental components of music. A range of levels ensures the app progresses with the ability of the child.
- Dance: Help the animals dance in time to the song
- Rhythm: Tap the birds in the right rhythm to play the nursery rhyme – learn about short and long notes
- Memory: Test your memory by repeating the order the notes are play, train your ear to hear different pitches
- Notes: Move notes around on a music stave to create your own tune
- Instruments: Play along with the music with your choice of instrument.
Music played includes a range of children’s nursery rhymes such as Mary Had a Little Lamb, the Muffin Man, She’ll Be Coming Around the Mountain and more.
What our team of testers said
"I like this one" - Girl aged 2
"Look it plays a tune when I touch the birds!" - Boy aged 3
- Teaches the fundamental components of music
- Introduces children to musical notes on a real music stave
- Allow children to practice rhythm
- Tests their memory in repeating the sequence of notes shown
What our experts think
Learning the fundamentals of music is really beneficial to children both in terms of learning the skills themselves, encouraging their creativity and developing cognitive skills. This app covers a cross-section of basic musical skills in a way the children really enjoyed. We particularly noticed the children’s rhythm skills improve as they tapped the birds in time to the familiar tunes.
It would be even better if...
There are verbal instructions on most of the screens except the very first one. Some instructions on the ‘Dance’ screen would be a help to pre-readers.
- Brands: Duck Duck Moose
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available:
- Appropriate child restricted areas? Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Apple version: iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 5.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: