What is it
Montessori Math is an app which encourages children to add and subtract numbers using partitioning (splitting numbers into tens and units.) Children can choose from different addition tools when practicing; when confident there is a games box where the children have to solve the sums against the clock.
What our team of testers said
"I like the different ways you can add up." - Girl aged 7
"We use this method at Kumon." - Girl aged 8
- Reinforces place value
- Teaches children to use partitioning when adding and subtracting
- Refines children's mental addition and subtraction
What our experts think
Montessori Math is a great app that makes learning addition and subtraction simple, by helping children understand the concept of maths. Children liked the alternative ways to play, which are particularly useful if children are struggling to learn using other methods. This app makes the numbers easier to work with by using partitioning to break them down, as well as offering a visually based game (counting on the bead frame). The games encourage children to practice to try and improve their score.
It would be even better if...
We like the settings page, but this should be for the parents and should have a lock on it – parents need to be able to disable/ enable certain features if they are to direct their children’s learning.
- Brands: Edoki Academy
- British English
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires 4.3 or later
- Android version: Android 2.2
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Listening and attention
Numeracy, counting & money
Speech, language and communication skills
- Additional features: The parental locks are mathematical operations which older children would be able to solve - some are easier than others and younger children would be able to work out the answer!