What is it
Montessori Geometry allows children to independently explore and identify shapes. A great teaching tool as the children hear the names of the shapes repeatedly throughout. Shapes are categorized into quadrilaterals, curvilinear figures, polygons, etc, covering 23 shapes. The 3-D shape tool shows children how 2-D shapes can piece together to create 3-D forms. Children can manipulate the shapes. There are also a few games where children can earn points and receive medals.
What our team of testers said
"It's very easy and fun" - Girl age 9
"I like playing the games" - Boy age 6
- Shape recognition
- Gives a good understanding of shapes
What our experts think
We liked the detailed parents’ section which gave a detailed background to the app. The app teaches children the names of shapes (2D and 3D, it also shows children how the 2D shapes make up the faces of the 3D ones (this links well with the KS2 Numeracy Objectives.) The app follows a good model for teaching – first of all the children learn the concepts and then they are encouraged to apply what they have learnt.
We also like the way there is a link to Geography with the characters appearing in different cities from around the world.
It would be even better if...
It would be better if the app had an english accent as the pronunciation of some shape names are different. Also the trapezium is called a trapezoid (an American term).
- Brands: Edoki Academy
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Extras for Parents: - Detailed information in the Note to parents
- Languages available: English, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
- Appropriate child restricted areas? Yes - no restrictions required
- Extras for parents: - Detailed information in the Note to parents
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 5.1 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Colour, shape and pattern recognition
Information & communication Technology (ICT)