What is it
Monsieur Bear’s ABC is an animated alphabet book which is available in French, English, Portuguese and Spanish. This cute little bear helps children to discover letters, sounds and words. The app uses funny animations and sound effects.
Children choose a letter and are given a page of pictures starting with that sound. When they click on each picture they become animated. When they click on the letter the sound is read and the bear reads a relevant sentence.
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"It said 'Boo Boo' thats funny" - Boy aged 4
A boy aged 4 was entertained a long time, laughing at the funny animations - Observed by play leader
- Encourages children to listen to sounds and words
- Introduces children to the letters of the alphabet
- Makes the link between letters, sounds and words
- Allows children to explore different languages
- Encourages vocabulary building (in English and other languages)
What our experts think
Monsieur Bear is a delightfully animated app which allows children to explore the letters of the alphabet; we loved the animations and sounds.
We really liked the fact that the bear read out the letter name along with the sounds that the different sounds chosen letter makes. The way in which the pictures were all labelled and there was a written sentence was a good addition – even before children are ready to learn to read and write it is important that they are made aware of how sounds become words and sentences.
It would be even better if...
We felt that some of the images weren’t relevant to young children and were a little tricky – for example unique could have been replaced with umbrella! We would also like to have seen an English version with an English voice and pictorial examples (children living in the UK will not be familiar with a baobab tree!)
- Brands: Europa Apps
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available:
- Android version: 2.2 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Learning to read
Learning to talk
Listening and attention
Speech, language and communication skills