What is it
LearnEnglish Playtime is an animated app which aims to build children’s speaking and listening skills. Children can listen to songs and stories (these can be downloaded so you can play them wherever you are.)
Each video has an activity for children to complete; the activities focus on the key skills of speaking and listening. There are also word and spelling games. The free version includes the fairy tale genre – parents can purchase the other genres (or subscribe to a membership) within the locked parents’ area.
Parents can view progress in the parents’ area.
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"Yes, I scored 9" - Girl aged 5
"This is tricky. Is it Castle? Yes I got it right" - Girl aged 6
- Develops children's speaking skills
- Encourages children to listen to and follow and story
- Explores different genres of writing
- Practises children's spelling of story related vocabulary
What our experts think
A lovely app for developing the key areas of speaking and listening. Speaking and listening is a focus area throughout KS2; it is an important precursor to writing.
The app uses different genres, this allows children to explore and recognise the key features of these whilst refining their speaking and listening skills.
Whether used by a native English speaker or a child learning English as a foreign language this is a great app to develop their speaking and listening skills.
It would be even better if...
This app would be better if the questions developed the children’s skills in inference and deduction.
- Brands: British Council
- Key Features:
- British English
- Made in the UK
- No 3rd party adverts
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, Spanish
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
6.0 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: Comprehension
Learning to read
Learning to write
Listening and attention
Speech, language and communication skills