What is it
This is a cooking app in which children make recipes (the free version includes one recipe with many more in the paid version). The player has to find the ingredients and utensils in the surrounding cupboards and pour, measure, whisk to make the recipe.
What our team of testers said
"It was really fun!" - Boy aged 5
"I like measuring the different food" - Boy aged 8
- Learn recipes and the principles of cooking
- Experience measuring ingredients
- Helps children recognise equipment and ingredients
- Requires children to read and follow the instructions
What our experts think
It’s great to see an app that teaches children about food and cookery. Children get involved in each step of the recipe, even finding the equipment, and have to read and follow the instructions. This app helps children learn not just about each recipe itself but also to recognise utensils, learn to measure ingredients (although the app automatically stops pouring at the right point) etc. A great opportunity for children to develop their understanding and interest in food and cookery.
It would be even better if...
– the measuring jug had numeric labels and required the child to measure the right amount.
– some of the food was more clearly labelled (a few labels are bit too subtle).
- Brands: Chocolapps
- No 3rd party adverts
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: No - all links unrestricted
- Languages available:
- Appropriate child restricted areas? No - all links unrestricted
- Apple version: iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 5.0 or later
- Android version: Requires Android 2.3 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Food & nutrition
Space and measure
Understanding the world