What is it
Everyone dreams about boarding a rocket and blasting off to the stars, but have you ever really thought about the science behind such an intergalactic trip?
Come and join our hero, Junior Astronaut as we learn what it takes to actually Break Through The Space Barrier!
• The early development of rockets and gunpowder
• Air resistance, drag and aerodynamics
• Mass, weight and gravity
• Actions and reactions
• Forces and their effects
PLUS Build your own rocket and test your new knowledge in the Rocket Academy!
What our team of testers said
"I liked learning about the astronauts." - Girl aged 7
"Wow." (at the rocket) - Girl aged 6
- Encourages an interest in science
- Teaches children facts about forces and rockets
- Builds scientific vocabulary
What our experts think
This app is particularly appealing to children who are fascinated by how rockets work and love learning new facts. The interactive features allow children to take part in the demonstrations, such as making their own gunpowder using the correct chemicals, to reinforce the facts. The story-telling style encourages listening and helps children learn scientific vocabulary.
Forces do not come into the English National Curriculum until year 4, but the app can still teach children interesting facts and get them enthusiastic about science.
It would be even better if...
For the recommended age, the style of the app is a bit young, although the facts are quite advanced. The app may might not engage children who do not already have some interest in rockets and scientific facts.
- Brands: Immediate Media Company Limited
- Key Features:
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: No - all links unrestricted
- Languages available:
- Appropriate child restricted areas? No - all links unrestricted
- Apple version: iPad
Requires iOS 4.3 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
Interactive Books & eBooks
- Types of skills developed: Listening and attention
Speech, language and communication skills
Understanding the world