What is it
Harry and the Haunted House is a interactive story book app which can be used in English or Spanish. It tells the adventures of Harry the Dog and his friends. Although essentially a spooky story, this interactive book will make children giggle as the characters embark on their adventure!
The app has two modes; one whereby the children can hear the story read to them and another more interactive mode.
There are parental and teacher notes so that you can make the most of what the app has to offer.
Tested on a Kurio
What our team of testers said
A boy aged 4 nodded to say he liked it when asked - Observed by play leader
"I liked it because it had zombies in it" - Boy aged 6
- Helps improve word recognition
- Encourages vocabulary and comprehension
- Promotes listening and attention
- Introduces children to a modern foreign language (Spanish)
What our experts think
We liked the story as it would appeal to both girls and boys. It is a very good app for encouraging word recognition and comprehension (especially in reluctant readers.) Every word in the story is recorded twice, once for the story telling and once for each individual word. Emerging readers can tap words (in the Play mode) and build the sentences themselves; children can also create silly sentences by tapping words out of order.
The hidden spider on each page encourages the children to concentrate and use their observational skills.
We really liked the parents and teachers sections – these provide some very useful tips.
The app can be changed into Spanish meaning that it can help children with developing their vocabulary in a modern foreign language (this feature makes the app appropriate for a wider range of ages.)
It would be even better if...
We would like to have seen clearer/ larger icons for turning the pages.
- Brands: Wanderful
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- Child Restrictions: No - all links unrestricted
- Extras for Parents: includes active links to websites or social networks, but only from the OPTIONS, PARENTS and TEACHERS pages, not from the storybook pages
- Languages available: English and Spanish
- Extras for parents: includes active links to websites or social networks, but only from the OPTIONS, PARENTS and TEACHERS pages, not from the storybook pages
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
5.1.1 or later
- App Types: Interactive Books & eBooks
- Types of skills developed:
Listening and attention
Speech, language and communication skills