What is it
Grammar challenge is an educational app that helps children practice English grammar and spelling through a series of matching activities.
The player selects the area that they wish to practise; the app covers parts of speech, tenses, different phrases, people, and sentence types. Next they decide if they wish to practise, apply their knowledge or complete a grammar challenge (which is a memory still matching game.)
Both the number of card pairs and the number of players are variable; you can also have the cards read to our and adjust the time you have to complete the challenge.
The difficulty level of the app increases with the number of card pairs and the chosen area of grammar.
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"I got three stars that time" - Boy aged 7
- Develops grammatical awareness
- Allows children to practise identifying different areas of grammar
What our experts think
Grammar challenge is an educational app which aims to help children refine their grammatical knowledge; there is now a much greater emphasis on grammar in the Key Stage 2 SATs.
We liked the way that the app introduced the different terms and gave examples. We also liked the way in which the children could learn, apply and then consolidate the knowledge that they had learnt.
It would be even better if...
We would like to have seen more variety in activity. Also, some of the terms are not inline with what children are being taught in the UK in Key Stage Two – it would be brilliant if this could be brought in line with the current SATs tests.
- Brands: Jan Essig
- British English
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Special Needs Dyslexic children
Children with developmental delay
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 7.0 or later
- Android version: 2.2 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Speech, language and communication skills
- Additional features: The parent gate stops children leaving the app, but is simple. Children still have access to settings.