What is it
Endless reader introduces children to ‘sight words’ commonly used in written English. They are introduced in an A-Z order. Children place letters correctly to form the word then drop the missing words (greyed out) into sentences. Later levels letters beyond ‘f’ include harder words and can be bought as ‘In-App’ purchases. (only accessible via parent gate) Letters are all read out as letter names (not phonetically as letter sounds) and in American English.
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"It's so fun, I like doing the words" - Girl aged 4
"I like the noises, they are funny" - Boy aged 3
- Encourages letter recognition by letter name
- Helps reach children spelling of common English words.
- Introduces the concept of using words in sentences
What our experts think
The children really engaged with this app and even 3yr olds were able to successfully complete the letters and sentences. It was lovely to see the children so engaged with learning. From an expert perspective this app clearly helps children with literacy skills from recognising letters and sight words to the concept of words within sentences.
It would be even better if...
For the British audience we’d really like letters read out phonetically (as letter sounds not names) as this is how British Children are taught. A British accent would also be helpful.
- Brands: Endless/ Originator Inc
- No 3rd party adverts
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Learning to read
Speech, language and communication skills
- Additional features: In App purchasing is behind parent gate