What is it
The Deskplorers: Egyptians is primarily an interactive book but with a range of additional features including videos, a dictionary of common Egyptian words, the ability to record and re-play your child’s voice reading the story and a series of 4 mini-games. Egyptians is just one of the Deskplorer apps (there are links to downloading the other apps from the App Store from within this app and to any other Fingerprint apps you have downloaded as well). When you download the app you have access to the first chapter straight away. To unlock each new chapter you need to help the Deskplorers find the right object. To use an object you need points and to get those you have to play the mini-games. (We understand there are also in-app purchases to access some Deskplorer content but we haven’t found any in this book). The book is pitched at a great level for children and is quirky and fun, the mini-games among other things require you to steer the tablet to catch or absorb objects, test reaction times, rhythm and concentration and even encourage the concept of a balanced diet whilst being fun to play. The app also features the Fingerprint Platform for parents which provides information on what your child is playing and learning through fingerprint enabled apps and let’s you send messages (e.g. words of encouragement as a voice message) to your child and even allows you to link with friends and family via email.
What our team of testers said
"I like getting the evil guys" - Girl, aged 9
"It's really good" - Boy, aged 11
- Learning about Egyptians
- Mini-games develop motor skills
- Encourages problem solving: through finding the right object to unlock the next chapter
What our experts think
It’s lovely to see an app like Egyptians Deskplorers that encourages children’s love of history whilst also developing other skills, in this case motor skills and problem solving skills. The game presented a real challenge which many of the children really enjoyed.
It would be even better if...
A few more hints and tips to help children along would be helpful.
- Brands: Happy Blue Fish
- No 3rd party adverts
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: No - all links unrestricted
- Extras for Parents: This is includes 'Fingerprint' which means it offers a series of free features designed to help parents share in the fun and learning of their child’s app play.
- Languages available: English, French
- Appropriate child restricted areas? No - all links unrestricted
- Extras for parents: This is includes 'Fingerprint' which means it offers a series of free features designed to help parents share in the fun and learning of their child’s app play.
- Apple version: iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 4.3 or later
- App Types: Games
- Types of skills developed:
Fine motor skills
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Physical & motor skills
Understanding the world