What is it
Code monkey is an online coding game for children. It encourages children to use simple commands to move the animated monkey around the screen – they need to use a range of different coding skills (measuring distance, making turns…) in order to direct the monkey to his banana. The early levels are easy and teach the children the basic commands; as children progress across the island the challenges become a lot more challenging with multiple commands needed.
Tested on an Apple Mac
What our team of testers said
"I can see it would help lots of people in my class" - Boy aged 11
"This is fun - Look I did it" - Boy aged 7
"It was fun, I like the monkey" - Girl aged 9
"This is really making me think" - Girl aged 8
- Encourages problem solving
- Develops the skill of coding in ICT
- Builds on children's knowledge and understanding of space and measure
What our experts think
Code monkey is a coding game which introduces children to the world of coding and then builds on the skills they develop as they progress through the levels. We really like the way the game starts off with simple one step instructions and as children progress, they become much more complicated. Children need to really think about how they will move the monkey around the screen; this is a good introduction to coding.
It would be even better if...
It would be better if the congratulation screen didn’t keep on popping up – it comes up so frequently that it becomes distracting!
- Brands: CodeMonkey Studios
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Extras for Parents: Please note this is a web based game.
- Languages available:
- Extras for parents: Please note this is a web based game.
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Computing and Technology
Information & communication Technology (ICT)
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Space and measure