What is it
Shrink down to a microscopic size and captain a ship leading your intrepid crew through the human body. Explore cells while managing DNA duplication and other cellular processes. Learn the role of critical cell structures including the membrane, mitochondria, golgi complex, and ribosomes as you return your team safely to the station.
Key learning objectives
- Investigate, understand, and explain cell theory
- Relate the structure of a specialized cell to the function which that cell performs
- Identify the structures and functions of major animal cell organelles
- Describe the functions performed by cells needed to sustain a living organism
What our team of testers said
"Intriguing." - Girl aged 12
"Yes!" (when she got the correct answer) - Girl aged 11
- Introduces children to scientific terms
- Shows how cells work
- Encourages problem solving skills
What our experts think
It’s great to find a game that can encourage an interest in science, with fun challenges to solve and a story theme to increase engagement. We like that scientific terms are used as this reinforces children’s knowledge and links well to in-class learning. The hands-on approach can help children understand the complex way cells work, for example, using ribosomes to make protein.
It would be even better if...
There was a lot of text and narration to get through before being able to do anything and this lost the children’s attention a bit. This also meant they missed the facts and explanations, so didn’t feel like they’d learned as much from playing as they could have done; we suggest adults use the app to start a discussion to reinforce learning.
- Brands: Filament Games
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad
Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later
- Android version: 4.2 and up
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Speech, language and communication skills
Understanding the world