What is it
Cars 2 World Grand Prix Read and Race allows children to read and race through the world of Cars 2. The story is animated to engage children.
Children follow the story and can also customise their own racing cars; once they have read the story all the way through they can choose a car to race on one of the Cars race tracks. The race game has 3 different levels and is controlled by tilting the tablet.
The app has different reading modes: record your voice, read to me, auto turn pages and early reader mode. You can also choose from 9 different languages.
Reviewed on a Kurio
What our team of testers said
"I like the Cars, they are cool!' - Boy aged 4
"I liked making and racing the cars." - Boy aged 5
- Promotes listening and attention
- Enables children to follow the words as the are read
- Promotes reading
What our experts think
We liked the selection of modes for reading – this means that you can adapt it for readers of different abilities. The content of the story will appeal to boys and would be a good tool for reluctant readers. We like the race at the end too, it’s a good incentive to finish the story!
It would be even better if...
We would have liked some more interactive elements so that children had something to ‘do’ whilst listening to the story.
Parents can ask children questions about what they have read (it is important that children are challenged to verbalise and think about what they have read) – but it would be better if there was a set of questions for the children to answer at the end; this could be linked to the race, thus promoting children to pay attention in order to earn more points.
- Brands: Disney Publishing Worldwide
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish and Swedish!
- App Types: Games
- Types of skills developed:
Listening and attention
Speech, language and communication skills
- Additional features: This is a simple parent gate; if a child can read they will be able to access the restricted area.