What is it
In Bop underwater, Bop the mole dives with you in an underwater world.
Bop’s world is beautiful to look at (it has been carefully cut and scanned fabric.) Children build their submarine and take off across the sea bed.
Bop is made of twelve scenes per App. Each scene stands on its own, yet all scenes interconnect. If needed, ladybugs scuttle to help children find the elements they are searching for. The Bop App encourages children to follow Bop’s story and help him with his projects. There are many things for children to see and do; and along the way, children develop a range of skills:
· Uncover the pipefish that looks like seaweed? Now they are swimming on the surface!
· Drop red and blue wooden beads into the sea urchins. Can you tell which colors and sizes fit?
· Treasures at the bottom of the ocean! Find the right hook and pull them up.
· How many fish do you count? Tap the fish away and see what changes.
· Look at these jellyfish. They are making such nice music.
· Where will this dream boat take you when you put it together? The mole is having lot’s of fun.
· Fashionable starfish chasing hats! Put a hat on each starfish.
· So much garbage where it doesn’t belong! Luckily there is a digger which helps you clean it.
· Oh no, the octopus is missing a few of its suction pads! Give them back to him and see how he starts spreading his ink.
· Let’s start the engine. Look how the ship’s propeller makes the water bubble.
Tested on an iPad
What our team of testers said
"Bubbles- yay!" - Boy aged 2
"hat...hat on fish!" - Girl aged 2
- Encourages children to match shapes
- Promotes independent play
- Encourages children to match colours
- Develops early counting skills
What our experts think
Bop underwater is a beautifully animated and calming app! We liked the way in which the little bugs helped the children if they were unsure of what to do. It promoted independent learning and enabled the children to be successful on their own.
The app practised a wide range of skills that are important for preschoolers – skills such as matching and counting. There was lots to talk about as Bop explored underwater.
The little mole character was engaging and our little testers enjoyed playing the app.
It would be even better if...
Some of our little testers found the jellyfish section tricky; we would also like to have seen parental instructions for the games.
- Brands: House of Big Things
- Key Features:
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: Yes- appropriate features restricted
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPhone, iPod Touch
Requires iOS 5.0 or later
- App Types: Games
- Types of skills developed: Cognitive
Colour, shape and pattern recognition