What is it
Key learning objectives
- Learn how to define engineering problems in terms of the criteria and constraints of a given task
- Learn to optimize a design by selecting the characteristics that perform best individually across a series of tasks
- Learn how to develop, test, and modify engineering solutions based on test results
- Create a model for generating data that allows for iterative testing of an object, tool, or process so that an optimal design can be achieved
What our team of testers said
"That's funny. I like this game." - Boy aged 10
"I learned that the heavy frame is more accurate." - Girl aged 10
- Lets children experiment with engineering
- Teaches children about the effects of materials, gear ratios, and more
- Encourages problem solving skills
What our experts think
Children liked hitting and splashing their opponent – this was the highlight for some of our testers! The challenge was enjoyable, particularly as children reached the later levels where they needed to think about not just the position of the catapult, but also things like the weight of the material used. We like that children aren’t given the answer at all, but given the freedom to see what effects each modification to the catapult has. When their opponent started moving forward this also added to the excitement!
This is a great way to help children learn about engineering, while being able to experiment and see the effects of everything from gear ratio to the arm length of the catapult. It really tested their problem solving skills, as they worked out through trial and error how to improve their catapult to be successful.
It would be even better if...
It takes a while for the game to really get started, so children may need encouragement to keep going to reach the more challenging levels. There also could be more scientific explanation involved, although the app does give adults the opportunity to discuss this with children.
- No 3rd party adverts
- No in-app purchasing
- Child Restrictions: Yes - no restrictions required
- Languages available:
- Apple version: iPad
Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed:
Logic, strategy & problem solving
Personal, social & emotional development
Trial and error learning
Understanding the world