What is it
ABC Handwriting is an app which helps children to earn to write upper and lowercase letters and numbers. There are two modes: guided which gives children directions and free which allows children to write alone. In each mode children can listen to the sound of each letter and the number name, they are also shown picture starting with each letter.
In the guided mode children follow the stars and trace the letters; a different colour star denotes where to start on each letter. In the free mode children are given arrows to show the strokes needed.
Tested on a Kurio
What our team of testers said
"Think this word will be hippo" - Girl aged 4
A girl aged 4 had fun exploring the activities - Observed by play leader
- Gives children opportunities to practise letter formation
- Gives children opportunities to practise number formation
- Develops phonological awareness
What our experts think
Learning to write is such an important skill for children and this app does a great job of allowing children to practice forming upper and lowercase letters as well as numbers. Including both the guided and free modes is a great addition – as children become more confident it is good for them to have a go without so much support.
It would be even better if...
It would be better if the spoken sounds and numbers were clearer, some of them were hard to recognise. We would also like to see some animation in the pictures for each sound and the ability to listen to the word spoken.
- Brands: Educren Inc
- Key Features:
- No in-app purchasing
- No internet access required for core features
- Child Restrictions: No - all links unrestricted
- Extras for Parents: There are links to external adverts in this app.
- Languages available:
- Extras for parents: There are links to external adverts in this app.
- App Types: Educational Apps
- Types of skills developed: English
Learning to write
Speech, language and communication skills